No 1 Parnell
Things to do
No 1 Parnell is a historic building dating back to the early 1900's when it was owned by A S Andrewes and Sons who established a family grocery business to serve the Hokianga. In 2013 the building was purchased by Linda Blincko and Lynn Lawton who have lovingly restored the building as a social conscious art space providing opportunities for artists to develop greater sustainability and for the community to have a space to hold creative events. Local Kaikohe builder, Malcolm Kildare, was project manager and lovingly and with great care carried out the restoration and refurbishment work. One hundred years later, the building is host to a café - A New Era café, the Waka Gallery featuring exhibitions from Far North and regional artists, the Main Gallery featuring affordable selections of paintings, ceramics, photography and jewellery, second hand and new books by local writers.
Though the restored building today is a far cry from the old Andrewes Store, No.1 Parnell’s wooden floor still shows off its indentation, the place where customers stood behind the shop counter to purchase and pass the time of day.