Northland is the first region of New Zealand, the first place in this young country to be settled. In 1840 we were the first to create a historic partnership between our two peoples, Maori and Pakeha.
- 950AD - Kupe, the legendary Polynesian navigator from Hawaiiki discovered Aotearoa / New Zealand
- 1000 AD - viable and sustainable communities formed - the first settlers, are the Tangata Whenua of Aotearoa / New Zealand
- 1642 - first recorded European contact by Dutch explorer Abel Tasman
- 18th century - other explorers, including Captain James Cook, and European settlers began to arrive
- Trading, whaling and sealing communities and missionaries established
- 1840 - New Zealand’s founding document the Treaty of Waitangi was signed in the Bay of Islands
- Land area of 1.25 million hectares (approximately 3 million acres)
Northland is now home to a population of around 151,692
Northland GDP = $5.8B
Census Quick stats about Northland
Read Northland's Economic Profile
Things you need to know about currency, disabled access, driving, electricity, internet, customs, safety, visas, weather and FAQ's.
Food, Wine & Markets Northland is fast becoming the new frontier for gastrotourists
Walking & Cycling We have a vast range of walking tracks and a new cycle trail